Nicholas J. Begakis
707 Wilshire Boulevard, 46th Floor
Los Angeles, CA 90017
220 Montgomery Street, Suite 1411
San Francisco, CA 94104
1050 Connecticut Ave NW, Suite 500
Washington, District of Columbia 20036
Phone: (213) 955-9500 (Ext. 1132)
Fax: (213) 955-9511
Bar & Court Admissions
- California State Bar
- U.S. District Court: Central, Northern and Eastern Districts of California; Northern District of Illinois; District of Colorado; Eastern District of Wisconsin
- U.S. Court of Appeals: Ninth Circuit
- Dennis S. Ellis, Katherine F. Murray, Nicholas J. Begakis & Adam Reich, Enforcement of Judgments: A Practitioner’s Guide to Recovery (Law Journal Press 2016).
- Presenter, “Witness Interviews: What They Are, When to Use Them, and What Young Lawyers Need to Know.” Los Angeles County Bar Association, Barristers CLE Committee 2016
Nick Begakis focuses his practice on complex litigation and trial work. His experience encompasses both complex civil and criminal litigation, including business disputes, consumer class actions, product liability defense, environmental litigation, real estate litigation and white collar defense. Mr. Begakis has tried cases in both state and federal court and has experience at all phases of litigation.
Prior to joining LimNexus Mr. Begakis practiced at Paul Hastings, LLP, Glaser Weil Fink Howard Avchen & Shapiro, LLP and served as an extern to the Hon. Marvin Baxter of the California Supreme Court.
- Represented public utility in connection with disputes arising from both electrical and gas operations.
- Represented major cosmetics company in connection with numerous consumer class actions in both state and federal court alleging false advertising.
- Represented municipality in connection with numerous state and federal court actions under the Comprehensive Environmental Response, Compensation and Liability Act (“CERCLA”), the Resource Conservation and Recovery Act (“RCRA”), and various analogous state court statutes and common law doctrines arising from the contamination of the former Rialto Ammunition Backup Storage Point in Rialto, California. Successfully argued appeal of the dismissal of a state court action challenging the City’s administration of cleanup at the site.
- Second chaired the trial and retrial of a Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Deputy charged with obstruction of justice for his involvement in the movement of an inmate that was providing information to the FBI. The first trial resulted in a mistrial after the jury deadlocked 6-6. The retrial resulted in a conviction following the exclusion of evidence and testimony presented during the first trial. Mr. Begakis handled direct and cross examinations of numerous witnesses during both trials.
- Second-chaired defense of a real estate development company. The plaintiffs brought a variety of tort and contract claims seeking payment of loans made to the company and the return of their investment in the company. Mr. Begakis handled direct and cross examination of seven witnesses during the month-long trial and successfully obtained a mixed verdict by which Plaintiffs’ recovery was limited to the return of their loans to the company. Plaintiffs were denied any recovery on their contract and tort claims arising from their investment in the company and likewise failed in their bid for punitive damages against the company.
- Represented a former inmate, pro bono, in his case against the County of Los Angeles alleging failure to provide adequate medical care. The plaintiff brought a claim under 42 USC Section 1983 alleging deliberate indifference to his serious medical needs in violation of his Fourteenth Amendment rights. Mr. Begakis handled voir dire, presented the opening statement and closing argument, and handled direct and cross examination of six witnesses including medical experts. The case settled on favorable terms during the second day of jury deliberations.