Kenneth M. Jones
1055 West Seventh Street, 28th Floor
Los Angeles, CA 90017
47 Kearny Street, Suite 700
San Francisco, CA 94108
Phone: (213) 955-9500 (Ext. 155)
Fax: (213) 955-9511
Bar & Court Admissions
- California State Bar
- United States District Courts: Northern, Central, and Southern Districts of California
- United States Court of Appeals: Ninth Circuit
- “California Supreme Court Issues Landmark Decision Clarifying Mixed Motive Defense”
- “Employers Beware: Choice-of-Law Provisions May Hinder Enforcement of Arbitration Agreements”
- “California Court Holds Arbitration Provision of Collective Bargaining Agreement Inapplicable to Statutory Discrimination Claims”
- “Drafting Arbitration Agreements and Navigating Between State Law and the FAA”
- “The California Supreme Court Holds that Prevailing Parties in Meal and Rest Break Actions”
- “Balancing Legal Risks in Social Media” presented at National Bar Association
- Panel member for “Trial Tactics Seminar and Developments in Affirmative Action Law,’ Langston Bar Association
- Panel regarding effective use of motions in limine, California Association of Black Lawyers
Kenneth “Ken” Jones chairs the firm’s labor and employment department.
Mr. Jones is an experienced trial lawyer with more than twenty-five years of multidisciplinary litigation experience with primary emphasis in employment matters. He has first chaired numerous jury trials and arbitrations, and he has an excellent track record of resolving cases by dispositive motions and mediation. He is highly skilled in the efficient management of large and complex cases, and well versed in litigation support software and trial presentation technology.
Mr. Jones represents a variety of large national companies, mid-size companies, and public entities in cases before federal and state courts. He concentrates his practice in the areas of employment law, business disputes, product liability, and civil rights and public entity defense. He defends employment matters, including claims for wrongful termination, discrimination (based on disability, race, national origin and sex), retaliation, harassment and violation of wage and hour standards. He also conducts employment investigations and provides advice and counsel to employers and managers.
In the business litigation arena, Mr. Jones has successfully handled cases involving breach of contract, fraud, false advertising, violation of Business & Professions Code section 17200, and misappropriation of trade secrets. His product liability practice has focused chiefly on defense of automobile manufacturers against claims of safety defects. He has successfully defended municipalities, public agencies, and law enforcement in civil rights lawsuits.
Mr. Jones is based in our Los Angeles office but covers statewide employment matters.
Labor and Employment
- Obtained defense verdict in jury trial against claims of race discrimination and wrongful termination by an African American insurance marketing professional. Plaintiff claimed that just before termination his supervisor sent him a racially derogatory photograph and revoked his authority for handling large accounts. Verdict was published as national “Case of Note” in Verdict Search and “Defense Verdict of the Week” in the Daily Journal.
- Obtained summary judgment and a finding that the lawsuit was frivolous in favor of the County against claims by an HR investigator who sued for FEHA disability discrimination, failure to engage in the interactive process and failure to accommodate based upon her visual impairment and job-related injuries to upper extremities, claiming the performance standards were unreasonable
- Represented police department supervisor sued by police officers in three successive lawsuits for discrimination, harassment, and retaliation related to denial of promotions over a 10-year period. Obtained summary judgment for supervisor and successfully defended appeal. Lead counsel in two jury trials. In first trial prevailed on plaintiffs’ discrimination claims. In second trial Plaintiff obtained a modest verdict on retaliation claim; however, obtained a complete reversal on appeal based upon the same arguments originally asserted in defense JNOV motion. Obtained $70,000 plus cost judgment against plaintiff.
- Obtained a summary judgment for employer on all claims brought by a Hispanic male over 40 who sued for race and age discrimination, and retaliation, after his position was eliminated during a reduction of force and he was not hired for an open position.
- Represented a bank sued by the bank manager for race discrimination and retaliation after he was terminated for violation of bank expense reimbursement policy. Case settled for nominal amount upon plaintiff attorney’s receipt of defendant’s summary judgment motion.
- Defended real estate broker and numerous related business entities in consolidated actions asserting claims for fraud, fraudulent transfers, and violation of Business & Professions Code, etc., relating to sales of undeveloped desert land. Defeated four motions for class certification. Case settled for nominal amount on second day of two week bench trial when trial judge indicated that plaintiff’s fraud claims were unfounded.
- Represented renowned recording artist and music publisher in massive copyright infringement case relating to alleged unlawful sampling of works from music catalogue of George Clinton. Obtained dismissal of all counts without payment of any damages or attorney’s fees, and assisted in negotiation of new licenses for the subject sampled works.
- Represented international beverage company as local counsel in a Lanham Act case brought by competitor for claimed false advertising related to a juice product. Responsible for devising and implementing discovery and assisting in law and motion and trial strategy.
- Prosecuted former executive of insurance company and his daughter for embezzlement of over $250,000 by way of fraudulent vendor invoicing scheme. Arbitration award issued in favor of client on all claims.
Product Liability & Warranty
- Obtained a defense verdict for automobile manufacturer in a case brought by a police officer for alleged braking system failure. Persuaded the court to exclude evidence of a 60 Minutes exposé involving brake failures in the same truck model and proved that excessive speed caused the plaintiff’s accident and injuries.
- Obtained a defense verdict for an automobile manufacturer for fire damage to a garage and house of a customer as a result of an alleged defective ignition component. The subject vehicle had been recalled for defects in the ignition which could cause vehicles to catch fire while the engine was turned off.
- Persuaded the court to bifurcate trial and grant nonsuit in a case involving a traffic accident where the plaintiff claimed steering failure. The vehicle was the subject of a recall for steering defects. Nonsuit was based on plaintiff’s execution of a release arising out of his warranty claims.
- Defended hundreds of breach of warranty (lemon law cases). Obtained a nonsuit in one such case, and successfully defended the appeal that resulted in a published decision, Silvio v. Ford Motor Company (2003) 109 Cal.App.4th 1205.
Civil Rights & Public Entity
- Achieved defense jury verdict for City in a 28 USC 1983 case arising from school teacher/minister’s allegations of unlawful arrest and excessive force by police officers. Tried case while the City police force was focus of intense media attention regarding a videotaped claimed beating of African American teenager.
- Prosecuted numerous False Claims Act actions for Section 8 fraud, including one action against housing authority employee who violated Section 8 and ethics rules. Settled case for restitution and penalties.
- Handled numerous claims and lawsuits under the Government Claims Act against municipalities and school districts.